Chorus America offers advanced education and enrichment opportunities to prepare choral conductors for lifetime professional conducting careers.
Choral-Orchestral Conducting Academy Returns in 2023!
July 3-9, 2023 | California State University, Fullerton
Chorus America’s Choral-Orchestral Conducting Academy gives choral conductors a unique opportunity to build choral-orchestral skills and advance their careers in a supportive learning environment with world-class, accessible teachers. During this week-long program, participating conductors will have the opportunity to study one-on-one with expert faculty and conduct choral-orchestral repertoire including Florence Price's Abraham Lincoln Walks at Midnight and Ralph Vaughan Williams' Dona Nobis Pacem. The Academy culminates with a final performance in Meng Concert Hall.
Applications will be open November 1-December 1. More details will be shared in the coming months.
Past Conducting Programs
SHIFT Conducting Workshop - April 1, 2017
Chorus America partnered with Washington Performing Arts (WPA) to present a conducting workshop on April 1, 2017, as part of SHIFT, a weeklong festival highlighting North American orchestras. Full details available here.
Conducting Masterclasses are designed to give choral conductors the opportunity to work with master teachers and coaches/mentors on skills during an intensive four-day program. Conducting Fellows are selected through a competitive application process; opportunities to participate as Conducting Associates and Auditors are available to conductors of all experience levels.
Recent Conducting Masterclasses
- Choral-Orchestral Conducting Masterclass with David Hayes and Jorge Mester, February 2014 at New York City's Mannes College The New School for Music. The Masterclass featured the Mannes Orchestra, chorus, and soloists.
- Children's/Youth Chorus Conducting Masterclass with Duain Wolfe and Rollo Dilworth, January 18-21, 2013 in Cincinnati, OH. Hosted by the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music and the Cincinnati Children's Choir.
Conducting Masterclasses and Workshops at Conference
Chorus America’s annual Conference often includes an opportunity for conductors to work with a master teacher and a professional-level ensemble with a focus on specific repertoire. Conference attendees can observe these sessions and learn about the challenges of conducting that repertoire.
Recent Conducting Masterclasses and Workshops at Conference
- Conducting Workshop with Robert Porco on recitative selections from Mendelssohn’s Elijah
- Conducting Workshop with Harry Christophers on chorus selections from Messiah, featuring an ensemble from the Handel and Haydn Society chorus
- Conducting Masterclass with André J. Thomas and Pearl Shangkuan on repertoire for chorus, organ, and brass, featuring The Esoterics
- Conducting Masterclass with Kathy Saltzman Romey and Anton Armstrong on sacred and secular 19th-century choral music, featuring the VocalEssence Ensemble Singers
- A Cappella Conducting Masterclass with Ragnar Bohlin on Scandinavian and Baltic choral music, featuring the International Orange Chorale of San Francisco