Artistic Director Position Announcement
Since 1992, Aurora Chorus has honored the strength and beauty of women’s lives through the fine art of choral singing. Aurora was founded on the belief that music can be a powerful instrument of peace—locally, globally, in the hearts of all who sing and all who listen. Aurora is proud to provide a choral home for singers at all skill levels who desire the opportunity to transform their love of singing into a dynamic ensemble experience grounded in healthy vocal production and solid choral technique.
The mission of Aurora Chorus is to elevate women’s voices and to open the hearts of singers and audiences through sharing diverse choral repertoire, celebrating musical excellence, and cultivating loving community. Aurora stands upon a beautiful choral legacy created by outgoing Artistic Director and renowned composer Joan Szymko. We seek a dynamic leader with solid choral directing experience to grow this legacy and to further enliven Aurora’s mission.
For more information about the choir and its history see: http://www.aurorachorus.org/
Start date of employment: August 1, 2022.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music, Music Performance or Music Education
- Two or more years’ experience in choral conducting
- Ability to guide singers of various experience levels toward a unified, mature choral sound
- Passion for promoting women’s voices and social justice
- Positive and empowering attitude
- Arranging and Composing Skills
- Keyboard or other accompanying instrument skills
- Experience working with mature women’s voices
Compensation: $1,000-$1,800/ month, based on experience
Application materials requested:
- Resume with cover letter describing your vision for Aurora
- Link to video of you conducting, preferably from the choir’s perspective (concert or rehearsal acceptable; if possible, submit examples of both)
- At least one example of a themed concert you have directed with at least seven works
Submit materials by December 15th, 2021 to adsearch@AuroraChorus.org
Aurora Chorus is a fully vaccinated choir for the 2021-22 arts season.
All candidates who audition with Aurora in person and Aurora’s new Artistic Director must be fully vaccinated and comply with Aurora Chorus’s health and safety protocols, which are determined and revised as needed by Aurora’s Board of Directors.