ABOUT CANTEMUS: Founded in 1982, Cantemus (Latin for “Let us sing”) is a chorus of singers from the North Shore of Massachusetts and beyond. We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, auditioned SATB group comprising up to 40-45 singers. Our repertoire dates from 1500 to today and covers a wide spectrum of styles. We aspire to an ever-growing artistic and technical mastery. Our adventurous and varied programming, drawing from the best of chamber chorus repertoire, features either a cappella performances or piano/organ accompaniment and occasional instrumentalists or ensembles. Cantemus performs 2-3 programs during the year at two or more locations on the North Shore. Our Strategic Plan sets forth our core values committing us to high levels of group performance through individual preparation; collegial, supportive, respectful, and accountable relationships; diversity in our programming, singers, and audience; and belief in the transformative power of choral art.
We seek an Artistic Director to develop and implement the artistic and strategic vision of the Chorus. .
- Advanced degree in Music preferred; minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Music with significant conducting experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in choral and orchestral conducting
- Experience working with adult choruses of serious amateur and professional musicians in choral techniques, vocal production, musicianship, languages, and musical background/historical context
- Demonstrated excellence in choral programming and performance/rehearsal planning
- Broad knowledge of diverse choral repertoire
- Demonstrated well-developed interpersonal communication skills and sense of humor
- Commitment to principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Carry out artistic decisions with a high degree of autonomy, but with advice and consent of the Board of Directors.
- Research and recommend appropriate music for the upcoming season.
- Identify concert themes and collaborations that support the chorus mission, possibly including virtual/online collaborations as opportunities arise.
- Audition and engage keyboard accompanist and vocal soloists, instrumentalists, and orchestral contractors as needed.
- Program repertoire. Provide a rolling three-year plan for programmatic activities, including budget projections.
- Write program notes as needed to meet print/production schedules.
- Plan and conduct weekly rehearsals on Tuesdays from 7:30-9:30pm in Topsfield MA (during the September-May season) and additional rehearsals as needed. Communicate rehearsal plans to singers in advance.
- Conduct 2-3 major concerts with dress rehearsals per season.
- Manage and conduct auditions for prospective singers semi-annually; re-audition current singers as required.
- Arrange for and facilitate the recording and timely posting of rehearsal tracks.
- Maintain good working relationship with the Accompanist, communicating regularly regarding rehearsal plans, tempos, and other performance details
- Identify and oversee activities of Chorus Section Leaders; communicate with Section Leaders regarding repertoire to rehearse in sectionals
- Work with Librarian to ensure that current season music is selected and purchased in timely fashion
- Attend monthly Board meetings ex officio and provide a monthly report to the Board; attend Chorus Annual Meeting and make annual report to the Chorus
- Assist Finance Committee in planning annual budget
- Work in fulfillment of the Strategic Plan
- Write narratives as needed for projects or publicity, potentially to include social media
- Be available for occasional media interviews
- Assist in development of grant proposals and grant budgets
- Assist in development of fundraising messaging
Cantemus resumed in-person rehearsals in September 2021 after 18 months of Zoom-enabled choral enrichment activities. Rehearsals take place in a space with state-of-the-art ventilation. All personnel are required to show proof of full vaccination, wear masks, and physically distance, and otherwise adhere to COVID policies as informed by public health and state government guidance. Some flexibility with schedule and performance may be needed until the pandemic is over.
Salary range: $16,000-$19,000, depending on qualifications and experience
TO APPLY, SEND:
- Cover letter describing who you are and why you are applying and current resume/CV (PDF preferred)
- Phone and email information for 3-4 professional references, at least one familiar with your choral conducting
- Samples of 2-3 past programs that exemplify your work
- Links to video(s) that demonstrate your conducting in rehearsal (preferred) or performance.
Email application materials to the Search Committee at email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis with priority given to those received before January 15, 2022. Applications will be kept confidential.