Assistant Director of Children's Choruses (Interim)
The Cleveland Orchestra is currently seeking an Interim Assistant Director of the Cleveland Orchestra Children’s Choruses, who will assist in preparing the Children’s Choruses for all performances, both with and without The Cleveland Orchestra. This assignment will continue through May 2022. There is the potential for the assignment to become regular employment at that time.
The Cleveland Orchestra Children's Choruses are treble ensembles affiliated with The Cleveland Orchestra. The Children's Chorus (COCC), open to students in grades 6 through 8, performs annually on Cleveland Orchestra Christmas concerts and major orchestral works at Severance Music Center. The Preparatory Chorus (COCPC), open to students in grades 5 through 8, focuses on establishing a foundation of vocal technique, music literacy, and musicianship.
The Cleveland Orchestra Children’s Chorus typically meets each Monday for two hours. Additional evening rehearsals are required in weeks with orchestra services for subscription concerts. The Preparatory Chorus also meets each Monday for 1 hour. A typical season begins in September and ends in mid-May. The Children’s Chorus is also occasionally called upon to perform major symphonic works in the summer months at Blossom Music Center.
The responsibilities of this part-time position include the following:
- Attend COCC & COCPC rehearsals, warm-ups, and performances, including those with The Cleveland Orchestra, in accordance with a schedule mutually agreed upon with the Director of Children’s Choruses.
- Lead sectionals and warm-ups, work with soloists, and create study tracks.
- Be prepared to lead COCC and/ or COCPC services that the Director of Children’s Choruses cannot attend.
- May have the opportunity to conduct, repertoire in rehearsal and in concert, at the discretion of the Director of Children’s Choruses.
- In collaboration with the Director, recruit, audition, and train singers to achieve the highest artistic level.
- Assist in selecting repertoire for COCC and COCPC performances.
- Promote and further the Children’s Choruses programs under the direction of the Director of Choruses and Director of Children’s Choruses.
- As we continue to put the health and safety of our choristers first at times you will be expected to collaborate and create digital content to keep chorus members and the community engaged, and continue to grow musicianship.
- Participate in outreach programs in the Greater Cleveland area schools to raise general music awareness.
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated knowledge of the developing voice, healthy vocal production and dynamic choral rehearsal techniques.
- Experience working with young singers.
- Advanced music degree.
- Broad knowledge of choral/orchestral repertoire.
- Positive, professional attitude in the execution of the responsibilities of the position.
The Cleveland Orchestra is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer that strongly supports and values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive work environment which includes accommodation. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and individuals from all equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter
- Three reference letters
- Recommended: A link to a video recording, primarily demonstrating a choral rehearsal with young singers. Performance footage may also be used, but entire video should be no more than 20 minutes long. The video should provide a frontal view of the candidate.
Interested candidates should apply on our website at
Videos can also be sent directly to Jill Harbaugh at firstname.lastname@example.org.