Prep & Training Chorus Level Director
The San Francisco Girls Chorus is seeking a choral director to join the SFGC faculty as a Prep Chorus and Training Chorus Director in January of 2023. Reporting to SFGC’s Director of Choral Studies, a Level Director is responsible for teaching and preparing repertoire and leading performances for Prep and Training Chorus classes of SFGC’s Chorus School.
This position would teach the following weekly schedule:
● Mondays from 4 to 6 pm at Kanbar Performing Arts Center, SF
● Tuesdays from 4 to 6 pm at Bayview-Hunters Point YMCA, SF
Select, teach, and conduct a variety of choral repertoire, implement curriculum, and set goals for
o Choral repertoire should be balanced to provide a variety of selections from various periods of
music history, including contemporary and commissioned works.
o All repertoire is reviewed by the Artistic Director prior to final selection.
● Teach and model healthy vocal technique
● Integrate music theory and sight-singing curriculum into the regular rehearsal schedule
● Provide opportunities for choristers to explore the dramatic elements of repertoire, and develop their physicality and expressivity in performance
● Select and/or provide choristers for collaborations with other arts organizations; teach and prepare the music for these collaborations, with guidance from the Director of Choral Studies. Attend rehearsals and performances with choristers
● Communicate with choristers and families about program expectations and singers’ responsibilities, including each chorister’s commitment to learning and attendance at all rehearsals and performances
● Hold annual parent/chorister conferences to discuss musical growth and learning, as well as
expectations for Chorus School promotion
● Update and maintain records of choristers, including attendance, information on parent conferences,
and chorister progress
● Prepare semi-annual Progress Reports
● Attend Chorus School auditions held annually
● Attend monthly faculty meetings, camp meetings, and other meetings relating to the Chorus School
● Arrive at least 15 minutes before rehearsal and be prepared to stay 15 minutes after
Starting compensation will be $40 per hour. Compensated hours include:
● Rehearsal time
● Administrative work (writing and answering emails, meetings, writing reports, offering support
to students, auditions, etc.)
● Preparation time (preparing scores, picking repertoire, planning rehearsals, etc.)
For each hour of teaching, directors are eligible for an additional 1.5 hours of paid preparation and
administrative time. This position is eligible for 10 hours of compensated time per week.
Email a brief cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references to Director of Choral Studies: Laney Armstrong at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the job title in the subject line. No phone calls, please.